What’s super easy, fun and colorful to make for a special treat? One of my kids favorite indulgent desserts are marshmallow squares incorporating cereal. Since it’s Trix week at LMP I was asked to come up with an idea using this vibrant looking cereal in a special way. The thinking cap was on ….and DING I came up with an idea. Why not sub your usual recipe using Trix !! Uh huh…..ya….that’s right….Trix are usually for kids but to be honest how can you resist a beautiful looking marshmallow square like the one I made below? You can’t and won’t. Best part is it’s another one of The Garden of Eatin’s repertoire of simple recipes using only 4 ingredients. You are now a member of the 5 and under recipe club. Aren’t you glad you joined? It’s the BEST.
While I was making these, one of my kids (who is 23 years old) was in “hovering mode” in the kitchen. Do you know how hard it is for these people I live with to WAIT? The only way of ensuring you can make these without someone sticking their finger into the melted marshmallows is to do it secretly in the dark at 5 a.m.
1 x 400g bag of mini marshmallows
10 cups Trix cereal
¼ cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
(See? There are really only 4 ingredients…I wasn’t lying)
1. Place the butter and marshmallows in a glass bowl and pop in the microwave for about 2 to 3 minutes to melt OR do it the old fashioned way and melt these two babies on the stove in a large non-stick pot.
2. Stir well and add vanilla.
3. Mix in your Trix and stir….. this is where you may need some muscle….not joking….it isn’t as easy as it sounds but think how pumped your bi’s and tri’s will look afterwards. BOOM!
4. Pour into a large greased pan (9 x 13 or 11 x 11) and press down with a spoon (TRIX TRICK, spray your spoon with non-stick coating before you press down the mixture, or wet your hands….the mix will not stick to your fingers or spoon….you’ve trusted me before….trust me again.
5. Cut into squares and watch as they disappear from earth.
* Sugar alert to parents with small children. Between the Trix and the marshmallows you really have a sugary snack on your hands here. If you do decide to serve these before your child’s bedtime you may risk having them turn into tiny bats that will be running around your house until all hours of the night… just sayin’.
The great thing about this recipe is it’s not only brainless to make but also so stunning to look at I can’t take it. Why not use them in party décor, gifts or just plain eat em’. Life is really all about colorful fun….put that in your bag of TRIX.
xoxo Debi @thegardenofeatin
When designing a party we get pretty nuts with the decor. For some reason we just can’t contain ourselves. We live for those ridiculously chic details that makes a party stylish.
Of course…there’s nothing as important as the food. Keep everyone happy by having a nosh on something delicious throughout your celebration.
So we were thinking…
We could eat our decorations?
LMP loves cereal, especially when its sweet, crunchy, bright and bold.
Well lucky for us…we got to work with General Mills on an awesome project for Trix. Every day this week we will be telling you all about the new fruitier flavors that Trix has released to the shelves…and how we styled these delicious puffs! Make sure you check back daily for all of the amazing details. DIY tutorials, a special interview with a surprise, Canadian friend, a giveaway and more!
After coming up with super fun and some silly ways to use Trix cereal as party decor, we got to build a special edition of Little Miss Party in a Box for Trix. We sent out these boxes to some notable friends and cannot wait to hear what they think…
Since the theme here is edible décor…let us show you some fun ways to play with your food!
Let me ask you a question: Could it get any easier then this? Take yogurt of your liking (my fave is vanilla) and layer it with crushed and whole Trix. Add whatever else you wish in there such as fruit, granola, shredded coconut, you name it. Gorgeous, delicious, boom. Brightens up the room and makes a great dish for brunch.
categories: Breakfast, Brunch, Brunch, Cocktail party, Dave Robbins Photography, desserts, Flowers, Food, For Mom..., Giveaway, Kids eats, Little Miss Foodie, Little Miss Mommy, little miss party, Little Miss Party in a Box, Napkins, Party, Party Favors, Party Stylists, Promotional party, Sweets