The best part about having a new cooktop is having a NEW COOKTOP!!
I’m happy to say that FINALLY, yes finally, there is LIFE in the kitchen again. Oh ya, there’s still so much to do but at least I have my major appliances up and running. Now, you would think as a food blogger I would create a special one-of-a-kind kick off the NEW KITCHEN recipe to make on my new and very, very HOT stove. Well. That didn’t happen. I think between the renovation
that will never end and the upcoming weddings for my two boys, my brain is functioning at ZERO to none.
This is when you call in the expert. Thank you MARTHA STEWART for this winner of a chicken dinner. It’s quick, super easy and look how stunning that chicken is swimming in that pool of yellow.
I stepped out to the garden for the first time this season to forage for some fresh herbs. Steve did a stellar job in planting this year. Mind you, he does a wonderful job every year unless there are unforeseen circumstances that heed his crops. Which brings to ask, where is Alice? Remember last year we had a bunny in the backyard and I felt the need to name her because she was so cute but really was a devil in a rabbit suit? I saw someone that looked similar to her in the spring but haven’t seen her since. Last year she foraged through the garden and annihilated all the provisions we had before we a chance to harvest them.
Don’t get me wrong, but although I miss seeing her sweet l’il bunny tail hippity hopping around in the backyard, I’m not going to send a search party out for her.
Okay, so lately my incessant laziness for developing recipes has been unforgivable. I had some valid excuses to fall back on, but now I can’t play the “I don’t have a kitchen card” anymore. I promise my culinary mojo will return after wedding number one.
Right now, I’m trying to figure out whether to go with a side part or a centre part for my hair. This has nothing to do with this chicken recipe but I thought you would appreciate being part of the prenuptial planning.
QUICK CURRY CHICKEN WITH SPINACH & PEAS
– 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1½-inch pieces
– Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
– 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
– 3 shallots, halved and thinly sliced (1 cup)
– 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
– 2 tablespoons minced ginger (from a 2-inch piece)
– 1½ teaspoons ground coriander
– ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
– 1 red finger chile, thinly sliced (2 tablespoons)
– 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
– 1 tablespoon sugar
– 1 can (13.5 ounces) coconut milk
– 1 cup frozen peas
– 2 cups packed baby spinach
1) Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper.
2) In a large braising pan, melt butter over medium-high. Working in two batches, brown chicken until golden, about 8 minutes per batch. Transfer chicken to a plate.
3) Reduce heat to low and add shallots and cinnamon stick. Cook, stirring often, until shallots are soft, 8 minutes. Add ginger, spices, and chile. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add lemon juice and sugar and cook 30 seconds more. Stir in coconut milk, ¼ cup water, chicken, and any accumulated juices. Season with salt and pepper. Bring just to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer on low, partially covered, until chicken is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add peas and spinach just to heat through. Serve over rice, topped with almonds and cilantro.
See you next week!
Simply Beautiful Eating