June 25, 2015
As a citizen of the “true north”, it was only fitting to do a Canada Day post using lots and lots of RED & WHITE. Once again, my friend Minilicious by Rachelle provided perfect mini donuts to use in this shoot.
They are seriously adorable and even better – baked not fried. She also supplied an added bonus – huge sugar cookies which were decorated in the colors of the Canadian Flag – take a look at those maple leaf sprinkles…….weeeeeee!!
The donuts are simple to make at home, but why bother if you live in the Greater Toronto Area. Look her up – she does all the work for you and they are great for just about any occasion.
Here are some things I love about being Canadian:
1. Our Flag – Is there any other flag as recognizable with that Maple Leaf? I don’t think so.
2. Fellow Canadians – We’re basically really nice people eh?
3. Freedoms – Free-est country in the world…..that doesn’t mean things are free here…we still have to pay for our stuff.
4. Health Care – Free healthcare means we don’t have to mortgage our homes when we break a hip. It’s not perfect, because you if you do fall and break something it takes up to 9 hours for a doctor to have a look at it in the ER, but who’s complaining?
5. Maple Syrup – I mean, pancakes and waffles need this…….I need this…….we all need this.
6. Poutine – Fries, Cheese, Gravy… um hello? That’s why we have free healthcare!
7. Smarties – The Canadian version of M & M’s but in my opinion better – “when you eat your smarties do you eat the red ones last?” I DO!
8. Ketchup Chips – I can’t believe my niece (Little Miss Party) has to smuggle these back with her to the USA. Why?
9. Our Money – it certainly goes up and down like a rollercoaster against the greenback, but look at all the pretty colors!
10. Toronto – The city that I was born and raised in. A multicultural delight with loads of things to do, eat and see.
11. and lastly – BEING A PROUD CANADIAN. I love and respect our Country and the world seems to like us as well.
Show us your red and white – HAPPY CANADA DAY!
Canada Day Sugar Cookies
3⁄4 cup butter (1 1/4 sticks, softened to room temperature)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1⁄4 tsp real vanilla extract
2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Cream butter with sugar.
Add eggs and vanilla and blend well.
Sift together dry ingredients and add to butter/sugar mixture.
Chill at least 1-1/2 hours.
Roll on floured board to 1/2 inch thickness
Cut with desired cookie cutters.
Bake at 350F 8-10 minutes on a greased cookie sheet. (you don’t want these too brown so keep an eye on them)
Cool and frost with your favorite frosting!
See ya next week!